Cincinnati Warmachine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's make an effort

5 posters

Go down

Let's make an effort Empty Let's make an effort

Post by Slowerlitespeed March 30th 2014, 1:09 am

To make Sturgis playable. He is a really difficult build. At 50 points I think he wants:
Deathjack 12
Skarlock 2
Withershadow 5
Blood witches with ua 8
Gerlak 3
Bloodgorgers 8
Orin 2
Madelyn 2
Saxon 2
And I have no clue what the hell else to put with him

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Let's make an effort Empty Re: Let's make an effort

Post by Servo March 30th 2014, 5:17 pm

He's definitely odd, and doesn't even feel all that Cryxian to me. Some thoughts follow.

Spell list
Blood Rain and Convection are fine, but unremarkable. We know Occultation and Parasite are great with the right builds, but I'm not sure he's going to be leveraging Teleport much. It's way better on someone slinging spells (e.g., Hellfire or Excarnate). Plus, at focus 6, he's not doing lots per turn (hence all of Lou's spell support).

Abilities/Stats
He's moderately survivable, but not enough to seriously mix it up in melee and make it to the next round. That said, the temptation is there with snap strike and, potentially, dark shroud. But again, focus 6 is an issue. Having a gun is great.

Feat
Sounds neat, but pulling a ton of shit closer to my army is not always a good thing. It's got potential in scenario play, but I'd much rather have eDenny or eKrueger. The damage on the closest stuff is mostly inconsequential (re: survivability). Could be cute with (gasp!) a Desecrator. The bonus focus allocation is too unreliable to play around seriously.

Army
Ok, on to Lou's request. If you aren't leveraging Occultation, you're doing it wrong. I assume Lou is looking at dropping it on the gorgers, and that's pretty hot. Typical targets  (e.g., soulhunters and biles) also apply, and both benefit greatly from the feat.

If you ever want Parasite or spot removal with Convection/Blood Rain, you'll want a node. Sure, the Deathjack is fine, but highly dependent on your other lists. Without a way to extend his spell range, this guy's doing dick all with his focus.

He does nothing to help models hit, so our low MAT stuff is less appealing.

With all that said, here's what I'd try for my first list, keeping in mind character restrictions:

Sturgis -6
Harrower 10
Nightwretch 4
Raiders & UA 10
Soulhunters 9
Darragh Wrathe 4
Bane thralls & UA 11
Bile thralls 5
Warwitch siren 2
Scrap thralls 1
Servo
Servo

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowerlitespeed March 30th 2014, 10:33 pm

Well I am glad we see some things the same way.  The list build, is not one of those things I guess.  I went with Gorgers and Witches because they are MAT 8 with gang.  Sturgis does not support the armies accuracy in the least.  I like Raiders just as much as the next Cryxian, but I am not sure they fit well with a feat like his.  I originally had a node, just for parasite pretty much, but figured DJ could do that better.  I do not really want Gerlak, but keeping the Gorgers on their feet is huge.  I do not want to take the WSC, but I think Surgis might.  Having said that, maybe they are not needed if the Skarlock is spamming occultation all game long.  

This dude is weird!

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawling Chaos March 31st 2014, 3:44 am

What about the wraith engine? He doesn't seem to want to give out any focus, and the battle engine can do that job pretty well.
Crawling Chaos
Crawling Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawling Chaos March 31st 2014, 3:58 am

Sturgis -6
2x Nightwretch 8
Skarlock 2
Wraith Engine 9
BLT4
WWS 2
Saxon 2
Max Knights 10
Min Thralls UA 8
Max Bane Riders 11
Crawling Chaos
Crawling Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by milothewise March 31st 2014, 9:56 am

I'm with Lou that Raiders may not be the take, here. He just doesn't do anything for them, and I don't think he can afford to spend points just to jam. I do like the Soul Hunters, though. They like Parasite and Occultation an awful lot.

I also really like the Wraith Engine: benefits from Occultation if necessary, and adding Dark Shroud to Parasite is always good times. Same with Bane Riders.

These are all mobile, largely independent, hard-hitting threats. That starts to look like a list that can come in from downtown to clear a zone, then have Sturgis Teleport in to dominate. He can personally deal with a bunch of dudes or ARM, too, which is a nice perk. This would be my build: 
Sturgis +6
-Node 4
-Inflictor 8
Bane Cav 11
Soulhunters 9
Wrath 4
Siren 2
Skarlock 2
Wraith Engine 9
Gorman 2
*Madelyn 2
*Pistol Wraith 3

*This should be the WSC if they aren't in your other list - this build does NOT like to be Crippling Grasp'd

I could also see dropping the Wraith Engine for Bloodgorgers or Blood Witches for the MAT 8 unassisted. I like him against the Colossal + bunch of dudes lists.
milothewise
milothewise

Back to top Go down

Post by Servo March 31st 2014, 6:07 pm

Yea, good points all around. After I wrote my post, I remembered the bane riders and dropped the raiders and scraps for them. This happened in my head, so there's (probably) no way any of you knew that.

These would definitely all be fun lists to play, but remains to be seen how much game this dude has.
Servo
Servo

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawling Chaos March 31st 2014, 7:19 pm

I think his feat will help us deliver our slower units. I could see feating on the front lines of a Menoth army. Drag in those Errants and Zealots a turn before they charge or mini feat.
Crawling Chaos
Crawling Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawling Chaos April 1st 2014, 3:51 am

Minor revision to my list. I would drop Saxon, a siren, and a Nightwretch to add the Inflictor. I feel like this dude will be playin far up the field and I'd hate to eat a Ravagore or defender shot.
Crawling Chaos
Crawling Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by milothewise April 1st 2014, 8:53 am

Crawling Chaos wrote:I think his feat will help us deliver our slower units.
I'm really curious about how powerful his feat will end up. I assume it has the potential to be bonkers, but it's going to be tricky. No choices about where models end up (aside from choosing the order), and no SPD debuff afterward means that you have to be selective about what you feat on, and even then the angles may not help threat ranges much (obviously depends on where your models are, too). 

I'm just wary, because it seems like an awful lot of "if" coming off this plan.
milothewise
milothewise

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawling Chaos April 1st 2014, 2:21 pm

Yeah, I was misremembering the range of his drag. I could see it clearing out a unit after they've charged something, or a unit that likes to cluster. But, then most of the lists posted don't really have the jacks to benefit from the ideal feat.
Crawling Chaos
Crawling Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by milothewise April 1st 2014, 4:51 pm

Has anyone proxied him up yet? I thought Lou had a while back...
milothewise
milothewise

Back to top Go down

Post by pg.GrandPooBa April 1st 2014, 8:06 pm

To me he screamed "parasite, chain attack, kill your caster!" but the problem I saw was his mat 7 which isn't bad but isn't great either with only 6 focus.

I think maybe you need to find away to engineer a knock down on their caster through is battle group maybe? Not sure how Cryx knocks stuff down outside of scourge.

His feat just seems backwards in away i really would love all his jacks have focus to get the knockdown going and then him activate but you really cant do that.

(MNVIOCSO!)Thats my not very informed on cryx stuff opinion.

pg.GrandPooBa

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowerlitespeed April 1st 2014, 9:24 pm

I proxied him up a few times.  He kind of worked, and kind of didn't.  My current list build is:

Sturgis  +6
Infictor  8
Ripjaw  5
Skarlock  2
Wraith Engine  9
Madelyn  2
Orin  2
Saxon  2
Gerlak  3
Siren  2
Max Blood Witches  6
Ua  2
Max Bloodgorgers  8
Withershadow  5

The plan is to stealth the gorgers up the field.  Parasite something I want dead.  Eat shots with the Inflictor and use it as a late game piece.  Use the Wraith Engine to kill heavy shit dead.  Madelyn helps deliver anyone I want delivered.  Orin controls the control.  Saxon helps shit get there.  Witches hit hard and accurate with gang and parasite, and also provide anti-tough tech.  Gorgers hit hard and accurate with gang and parasite, and also provide some attrition.  Gerlak keeps everyone on their feet.  The Siren fuels a 'jack.  The withershadow help Sturgis keep his focus, and the Skarlock does the same thing.  

I see this being a pretty good anti-armor/anti-tough stuff, list.  The feat can keep infantry spam honest, and can also help with the control match ups.  I am actually excited to put this on the table.  I guess that would be a rules violation for "competitive game night", so I will have to wait for someone to visit THE CAVE.

Thoughts?

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowerlitespeed April 1st 2014, 9:30 pm

I have a second list built as well.

Sturgis  +6
Kraken  19
nightwretch  4
Skarlock  2
Siren  2
Madelyn  2
Saxon  2
Necrotech and Scrap  1
Max Bane Thralls  8
UA  3
Max Blood Witches  6
Ua  2
Withershadow  5

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Post by Crawling Chaos April 1st 2014, 9:44 pm

@Mark
He gets to swing twice for each focus spent, so 14 mat 7 attacks aren't too bad. Auto hitting is obviously better, but in a pinch, he can to alright.
Crawling Chaos
Crawling Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum