Damiano/Gorten Pairing

Go down

Damiano/Gorten Pairing

Post by Celebros on April 17th 2014, 2:34 pm

Just looking for some feedback about this pairing. I've been playing the Damiano list in roughly this form for a little while now and feel like it is very solid. I only have a few games with the Gorten list (a modified version of Josh Maxson's from MoM), but it has performed well so far.

Any particularly match-up problems you see? Any changes you guys would recommend?

Damiano (Highborn)
-Nomad
-Sylys Wysnalyrr, The Seeker
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
-Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
-Vanguard
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Max.)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Max.)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Max.)
Tactical Arcanist Corps
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
Ragman

Gorten Grundback (Four Star)
-Ghordson Earthbreaker
Alexia Ciannor & The Risen
Kayazy Assassins (Max.)
-Kayazy Assassin Underboss
Kayazy Eliminators
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
Thor Steinhammer
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
-Bull Snapper
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Re: Damiano/Gorten Pairing

Post by Slowerlitespeed on April 18th 2014, 7:53 pm

The Damiano list looks super solid man. I can think of a few bad match ups, but none that Gorten doesn't cover. I think Ragman is a nice touch in that list, and the same can be said for we&sj in the Gorten list. These lists look nice. Well done

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebros on April 19th 2014, 9:02 am

I got another game in with Gorten on Thursday night.  I'm really enjoying the list.  Lots of flexibility and threats.

It feels a bit odd not having Eiryss2 in either list, but the way both lists operate, I don't think she's essential.  If anything, I might try swapping out the Bull Snapper for her at some point.
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowerlitespeed on April 19th 2014, 11:46 am

Actually I think having the elf whore is better than having spiny growth, most of the time. I do believe that change would/could be beneficial for you

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Post by milothewise on April 21st 2014, 2:30 pm

Lou and I talked more about that Bull Snapper Saturday night. We both think it's largely wasted, and that eEiryss does more work here. Two issues:
1. eEiryss is awesome. Gorten looks like your Cryx drop - fewer souls, lots of stealth, resistant caster, good guns - so this is where you want the anti-upkeep.
2. Wrongeye has better things to do. To get Spiny Growth up on the Earthbreaker, he has to hang back with a SPD 4 model for the whole game - and it probably won't even come up until later turns. Is Snapjaw really just sitting around playing guard dog that whole time? It just doesn't seem like a set up that plays to their strengths at all.
milothewise

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebros on April 21st 2014, 2:42 pm

I think you are right about the Bull Snapper.

Looking back at the games I've played with the list, I think Spiny Growth has been a truly significant factor only once or twice and been a bit superfluous in a lot of other situations. I think Eiryss2 will offer much more consistent performance game-to-game.
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebros on April 22nd 2014, 12:33 am

Expanding this pairing into 3-list events, which of the following jumps out at you as a complement to my Damiano/Gorten lists?

Bart/Galleon
MacBain/Galleon
Shae Theme Force (w/Galleon)

My initial thoughts go to MacBain, as Countermeasures can really swing some specific match-ups and Galleon+Failsafe+Dougal is rock-solid.  Hot Shot/Batten on the Galleon is a hell of a drug though.

Any thoughts?
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Post by milothewise on April 22nd 2014, 12:42 am

I like MacBain more and more in theory. Failsafe and Jackhammer feel awfully good with the Galleon. Hotshot gets hard countered by lots of stuff that is likely good against you anyway - mass Stealth and/or upkeep hate.

In three list formats you're building for the fewest bad matchups possible, right? I think MacBaine wins that particular fight.

It's going to come down to what you like playing the most, though. Have you played any of these enough to really love one of the lists more than the others?
milothewise

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebros on April 22nd 2014, 1:00 am

I have the most experience with Shae of those three 'casters, but am not particularly confident with him yet.  I've rolled to easy scenario victories in some games, but had the pirate ball collapse in spectacular fashion in others.  I only have a couple of games with MacBain and Bart, but my initial impressions lean toward MacBain.
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebros on May 9th 2014, 10:50 am

I've continued to play the Damiano and Gorten lists and have decided I don't need Sylys in my Damiano list.  Even without Sylys, I can upkeep Sure Foot + Death March and still have enough focus to pass out two Deadeyes if needed or one Deadeye and some focus to my Nomad.  Between the TAC clouds and the Vanguard/Sure Foot, Damiano is usually fairly safe and Sylys allowing 1-extra camp really isn't making a difference.

What do you guys think would be the best option for those 2-points?

My initial thoughts go to Lanyssa Ryssyll, Anastasia di Bray, or Dougal MacNaile.

Lanyssa - Additional 2" of threat on my Forge Guard in particular makes Lanyssa appealing.

Anastasia - +1 to go first is big with this list, as going first lets me set up my two 3-COST buffs turn 1 and get my Gun Mages/Nyss in position for some Deadeyed shooting turn 2. If nothing else my opponent wastes resources trying to prevent Espionage.

Dougal - Lots of guns to make use of Double Powder Ration.  Quad Iron is never bad.  No real use for Artillerist aside from +2/reroll deviation to an Arcane Inferno though.

Any thoughts?  I'm favoring Anastasia, at this point.
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Post by DanS on May 9th 2014, 11:13 am

I would take Dougal...He can reroll Gorman's grenade as well.
DanS

Back to top Go down

Post by Celebros on May 9th 2014, 11:16 am

DanS wrote:I would take Dougal...He can reroll Gorman's grenade as well.

Considering I used Black Oil+Artillerist in two games with Ossrum at the Bookery Qualifier, not sure how that slipped my mind...
Celebros

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down