Minions 2014

Go down

Minions 2014

Post by DeadGuySaysWhat on April 14th 2014, 4:19 pm

Alright, I have been tempted in to trying to play somewhat seriously instead of Arkadius all day 'erryday. However I am not tempted enough to abandon my joke semi-faction full of clever references that go over 87% of the player bases' heads.

I have access to both pacts, there will be not limiting of choices due to wanting to be only gators or farrow, just the best lists I can try to muster. I have a 50 point list for each caster I think is worth playing in a serious format, aka not Arkadius, Calaban, or Sturm & Drang, and here they are:

Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq. III Tier 4 Golden Horde
Carver +6
- Targ 2
- War Hog x2 16
- Road Hog 9
- Razor Boar x3 6
Rorsh 9
- Brine
Brigands x6 4
Brigands x6 4
Slaughterhousers 6

Standard Carver, load him up on beasts and give him enough infantry to hold zones, go troubleshoot pesky solos, or reap injured models. This list I have the most practice with and allows Carver to play the middle game, wherein he has few weaknesses outside of my own mistakes. Heavy armored beasts can play well to scenario, the feat can play the assassination angle or put me up on attrition if I use it to clear heavier models.

Maelok the Dreadbound Tier 3 Walking Dead (spoilers: zombies)
Maelok +6
- Wrastler 9
- Boneswarm 4
- Snapper 3
- Horrow 8
Witch Doctor x3 6
Ambushers x10 8
Max Posse x2 18

Maelok armor skew with some generalist power plays added for the threats they provide. This is attrition for days and days with Gators sitting pretty at armor 20+ for most of the game. I have seen some changes in maybe swapping the Ambushers and the Boneswarm for another Snapper and another full Posse. Also seen some uses for Wrong Eye and Snapjaw, but I prefer them for the next list. Thought on this one are appreciated...

Rask Blindwater Congregation
Rask +6
- Wrastler 9
- Horror 8
- Snapper 3
Wrong Eye 9
- Snapjaw
Witch Doctor 3
Max Posse x2 18
Min Ambushers 5
Gobbers 1

Rask is the best thing since becoming a faction for Minions. His gun and feat are game winners almost on their own and the little fishman and his cowardice are amazing at not dieing ever with all sorts of built in survival tools. The list is all about assassination, with just enough attrition to make it a viable threat. Rask suffers against casters like Kromac and every Cryx caster that can spam arc nodes (read: all of them), but does alright against anything high armored, POW 20 Snapjaw one rounds huge bases.

Barnabas Blindwater Congregation
Barnabas +6
- Wrastler 9
- Spitter 8
- Snapper 3
Totem Hunter 3
Thrullg 3
Croak Hunter x2 4
Max Posse x2 18
Max Ambushers 8

This is a pop and drop list, incredibly useful against Circle and shooting heavy match ups, not to mention Iron Flesh'd infantry. I like Barnabas and he has some goofy synergy with Blood Boon and Flesh Eater with his feat.

And yes I have 0 table time with Midas and forgot completely about him, maybe one day.

Anyways, comments, concerns, conundrums, etc are all welcome. I am trying to refine these down to two or three take-all-comers lists as Minions grow in to 2014.
DeadGuySaysWhat

Back to top Go down

Re: Minions 2014

Post by eChad on April 15th 2014, 1:00 pm

I think Rask should be caster #1, with everyone else competing to be paired with him.

Have you thought about the shamblers with him? Without checking, I assume they count for his Call to Sacrifice. Good synergy with Fury or whatever damage buff he has.

I also wonder about the beast load out. I think Rask can make better use of Spitters than just about anyone, and would help the Cryx match-up. Is Wrongeye and Snapjaw better used somewhere else?

eChad

Back to top Go down

Post by eChad on April 15th 2014, 1:05 pm

I'm thinking something like this is worth trying:
Rask (*6pts)
* Bull Snapper (3pts)
* Ironback Spitter (8pts)
* Ironback Spitter (8pts)
Gatorman Bokor and Bog Trog Shamblers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Gatorman Witch Doctor (3pts)
Totem Hunter (3pts)

eChad

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadGuySaysWhat on April 15th 2014, 6:06 pm

Rask is in fact that good, the lists were not necessarily in order of best to worst that time around.

The one reason why I keep Rask's beast load out pretty heavy is colossals, the ONLY way to kill a huge base in Gator lists is to Fury a heavy straight at it and do as much damage as you can before cycling to gatormen or trying for lucky damage rolls. Though with access to Carver, who can do it if I get lucky (I rarely get that lucky). It might be worth looking at the shamblers, though they are just underwhelming even under Fury as the only person in the unit worth a damn is the Bokor.

I'll have to pick up a box and try it out next time I play seriously, thanks Chad.
DeadGuySaysWhat

Back to top Go down

Post by milothewise on April 15th 2014, 7:41 pm

$75 box. It's a lot of metal :/
milothewise

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowerlitespeed on April 15th 2014, 10:06 pm

I like where your head is at Lame Nick. In a two list format, it is awfully hard to look past Carver and Barny. This combination gives you great balance. In divide and conquer, you could potentially get locked into a bad match up, but at least this gives you an answer to both ARM and DEF. That same line of thinking can also get you Rask and Barny paired together. Rask is GREAT, and Gators have access to more tools than Pigs do. Personally, I still take Carver. He is the best Warlock out there, and can abuse Mobility, and Massacre.

In a format that favors attrition, like Hardcore, I would give Maelok a serious look. That is a whole lot of ARM that your opponents have to chew threw, and let us not forget about Revive. Playing against Maelok can be really frustrating.

In a three list format, it is Carver, Barny, and Rask. Maelok could potentially make the lineup, since he does force match ups, but the big three are what I would play in an all-comers situation.

All of your lists are solidly built, in my opinion. I would put them on the table, play some competitive games, and then adjust. I am behind you all the way man, and will be here to help if you need it.

Slowerlitespeed

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadGuySaysWhat on April 22nd 2014, 12:42 pm

Alright, I got a pretty decent game in against Richard, specifically eKaya in a match up that I probably would bring Barnabas in as Circle tends to be a bit higher in DEF and lower in ARM. We played the scenario with two 12" zones in the middle of the board.

My List:
See the Barnabas list above

Richard's List (might be missing some models):
eKaya
-Ghetorix
-Stalker
-Pureblood
-Gorax
-Wilder
Una
-Double Special Action Griffon
2x Stones, one with UA
2x Druid Solos
Feralgeist
Gobbers

I won the dice roll and decided to go first. Turn one we postured at each other and made idle threats as models ran/jockeyed for charges.

Turn 2 I managed to get the totem hunter on to a lone stone in the UA'ed unit and took it down, sprinting away behind an obstruction nearby. The Spitter advanced in to the left zone and took his shot at a stone in the other unit, but whiffed hard on the damage roll and did two damage. Gatormen run up and form two triangles to present a wall of tons of wounds for his beasts to chew through. Barnabas and crew hang back, but Iron Flesh goes on one unit of gators, and Warpath goes up for options. The Croaks follow their big brother and hang out in the zone on the right. The Thrullg then takes up his spot behind a wall in the left zone.

Richard is deep in thought at the start of his turn and decides now is the time to deal all the damage. He activates Una, the Griffon, the Wilder, and eKaya and passes out the Griffon's animus and the Purebloods animus to all the beasts and solos, then feats to make sure I get nothing and like it. This means that Iron Flesh is ignored and the pain begins. Ghetorix rips apart the Totem Hunter and a Croak, the other then proceeds to fail command and flee. The Stalker gets ported and goes to town on the gatormen, killing three of them. The solos and the Pureblood all try to spray and do some damage but get no kills to their names. The Feralgeist runs in to the right zone. Richard ends with all of his beasts body blocking for eKaya, but I have the left zone controlled.

My turn three begins with a huge mistake, I bring on the bog trogs and activate them right away, thinking I will not get Warpath moves anyways, turns out I could have... They take down a druid and menace the griffon and Gorax who are out on that flank. Barnabas charges his own gator in the back, leaving it on one box, but allowing me to feat and knock down everything Richard has. I toss a Flesh Eater and nuke the other druid solo, putting Iron Flesh on Barbabas to be safe. Charge of the Gators plays as I jam the six remaining gators in to his beasts and force the Wilder and Gobbers to flee. I put some respectable damage on the beasts, but nothing important dies. Croak fails to rally, and the Spitter takes out the stone he shot at before, breaking the unit formation. The warpath move was Croc blocked as I couldn't get he Wrastler anywhere important, so he headed up to toe the right zone. Two points for me since I could not see the Feralgeist with Barnabas to try to finish it off.

Richard tries to do damage control and heals beasts to working order. He slaughters the trogs with the griffon's special action, they fail and flee. The Wilder and the Gobbers want nothing to do with the fight and stay fleeing. Ghetorix finishes the work the Stalker began by clearing the last two gators in a unit. The Stalker whiffs a few swings on DEF 13 Gators and the Pureblood frenzies in to a Gator, turning him in to paste. The Gorax gets in on the action as well, punching a few things for fun. Richard then shifts a stone, the only one who us able due to the leader dieing to the Spitter, into the left zone to stop me from controlling, but it will not be enough.

The Spitter walks over and nukes the stone in the left zone, Barnabas does the same to the Feralgeist in the right and I end my turn, 5 scenario points to 0.

Gator Victory!

So despite some mistakes I think I am getting the handle on the Barnabas list. Though I may drop some of the Trogs to get a Croctor for some tough/undead shenanigans in the next iteration.
DeadGuySaysWhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down